Guide to Keycaps

Originally published at: Guide to Keycaps - Best Keycaps for Mechanical Keyboards - ABS vs. PBT

Mechanical keyboards are the go-to keyboard for gamers and enthusiasts and offer almost endless possibilities when it comes to customizations. One of the popular customizations of mechanical gaming keyboard and mechanical keyboard enthusiasts is replacing the keycaps. In this guide, we will go into the various types of keycaps and explain the difference between the most popular choices: ABS and PBT keycaps. Types of Keycaps There are many types of keycaps, and we will only go through the most used keycaps in this guide. Plastic is the material that is most often used in keycaps, but plastic comes in many variants. Here are some of the most used plastic materials in mechanical keyboards: ABS – Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene PBT – Polybutylene Terephthalate POM – Polyoxymethyleneor or “Delrin” PC – PolyCarbonate Besides this, the keycaps can be rubber coated or made of other materials like resin or metal keycaps. In this guide, we will focus on the most popular keycaps for gaming; ABS, PBT, and rubber keycaps. Key Shape Most modern types are cylindrical, but older keyboards can have spherical key shapes. Key Profile … Key Stems The stem is the plastic part that connects the switch to the keycap. The…

1 Like

Awesome guide! I didn’t know all this about keycaps, really makes me wanna try PBT keycaps now for my Corsair keyboard :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you!

You definitely should try PBT keycaps, they feel super nice.

1 Like